Many of our international students work part-time while they study in Australia. Below is information on visas, how to find work and steps to take before starting work.


You will automatically receive permission to work with your student visa.

If you are a student visa holder studying an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of your course), and for unlimited hours during study breaks.

From the time your course commences, family members accompanying you as dependents on your student visa are also entitled to work 40 hours per fortnight at all times.

For examples of how these working limits are assessed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), please visit the DIBP website.

If you are a student visa holder and are studying a Masters by research or PhD, there is no limit on the number of hours you can work.  Family members of students doing a Research Masters or Doctorate course may also work unlimited hours.

Please note that working in excess of these hours can lead to the mandatory cancellation of your student visa. For more information please visit the DIBP website.


Popular part-time jobs for students include retail (small stores or department stores), hospitality (cinemas, restaurants, bars, takeaway stores) and services (supermarkets, petrol stations and call centres).

Flinders University Student Association list a range of job vacancies at

For other Australian job websites, please visit:


The following information will help you prepare for starting work in Australia.

Open an Australian bank account, so your employer can deposit your earnings. For more information on how to set up an account refer to the Flinders Pre Departure Guide.

You should apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Your employer can provide you with the relevant forms or you can obtain one online or by phoning 13 28 61.

Employment rights:
Australia has a minimum wage and you should be paid a fair wage for any work you do. Be cautious of employers who ask you to work on an unpaid ‘trial’ basis. Also be careful if an employer wants to pay you ‘cash in hand’ or ‘off the books’. These terms mean that your employer will pay you in cash but will not take out tax, and this is against the law in Australia. Carefully read any employment contracts you sign. The Fair Work Ombudsman website has useful information especially for international students.

Superannuation is a way to save for retirement. It is compulsory for your employer to pay a percentage of your wage into your superannuation fund. You will be able to claim your benefits once you have left Australia and your visa has expired. See the Australian Taxation Office website for more details.